Why Sign Up?
You don't have to sign up to enjoy myLOC.gov. But if you do, you can:
- Personalize your experience,
- Collect your favorite exhibit items
- Play Knowledge Quest, the Library of Congress' interactive activity, online.
Sign Up Now »
The Library of Congress is the world’s largest library, with millions of books, recordings, photographs, maps and manuscripts in its collections. Since the earliest days of the Internet, the Library's primary Web site at http://www.loc.gov/ has led the way in making these rich resources and treasures available to the American people.
The Library's new, personalized site, myLOC.gov, presents many of these items in compelling online exhibitions that reveal our nation's history, knowledge and creativity through primary sources, engaging activities and materials for teachers and students.
- Plan your visit. Use this site to get familiar with the Library. Plan a visit to the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. If you’ve already been here, you can revisit the exhibits and build your personal collection of Library objects.
- Touch history. MyLOC.gov is also an online museum with exhibitions and interactive features that bring rare historical books and objects to life. See the edits on the Declaration of Independence. Read the hieroglyphics on a Mayan vase. Turn the pages of The Builder’s Dictionary, once owned by Thomas Jefferson.
- Get lesson plans. MyLOC.gov has dozens of lesson plans, all created and organized around the books and items on display that will help teachers use primary sources to bring history to life.
- Plus, there are cool activities for students. Zoom into maps. Do a word search related to the founding documents of the United States. Try your hand at re-writing the Declaration of Independence.
Here's how to get the most out of myLOC.gov
Sign up by completing the online registration form.
Note: The Library reserves the right to notify a parent or teacher of a minor's attempt to create an account. The parent/teacher will be notified by e-mail and will be able to cancel the account from that e-mail.
Have a Live ID account? To verify your account, you will be redirected to the Live ID Web site.
Sign in on any page once you have registered. You'll get immediate access to your personalized collection.
Start collecting. Add your favorite items and interactive features to your collection by clicking the "Add to My Collection" button below each item. All your items will be available in your personalized collection.
Tell a friend. Once you have registered, you can send postcards featuring your favorite items.